How to Apply

Menu × Close

Breadcrumb Navigation

International Graduate Admission


As an international graduate student, you will need to complete the following items along with the online application and supporting documents outlined in Graduate Application Requirements.

The School of Music prefers translated transcripts sent from SpanTran, the World Education Service or Educational Credential Evaluators.

Language Test Requirement: All students whose native language is not English, regardless of citizenship, are required to submit TOEFL either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

The TOEFL code for Carnegie Mellon University is: 2074

Department code is: Humanities-Music 19

Minimum TOEFL Scores



MM or MS        





















Minimum IELTS scores

For MM or MS

Overall band score:  7
No sub-score lower than: 6
Sub-score topics: Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking 

For AMS or AD

Overall band score: 6


Admitted International Students

Important Dates:

April 15: Submit Intent to Enroll Form

May 1: Submit all other required materials:

  1. The International Student Information Form
  2. Affidavit of Financial Support along with original supporting financial documents
  3. Copy of passport identification page(s)
  4. Transfer in Form (if applicable)

Required Forms:

After being accepted, you will receive the required forms. You must complete the following required forms in order to receive the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) from Carnegie Mellon.

  1. The International Student Information Form
  2. Affidavit of Financial Support along with original supporting financial documents (see examples)
  3. Copy of passport identification page(s)
  4. Students who currently hold F-1 or J-1 student immigration status from a school in the United States must also submit the Transfer in Form

Estimated Expenses for 2018-2019


Estimated Cost:

Tuition MM/MS


Tuition AMS


Graduate Student Fees


Living Expenses


Books and Supplies


Health Insurance



$26,259 + Tuition



With Spouse and Children




One Child


Each Additional Child



Document Financial Support

Please follow the instructions below to document financial support.

  1. Provide an official translation of documents (not in English)
  2. Attach these documents to your Affidavit of Financial Support
  3. Keep two original copies for yourself
    (They will be needed when applying for a student visa and/or during immigration)

The supporting financial documents must be:

  1. In English
  2. Original documents (NO copies, faxes or scans)
  3. No older than 6 months
  4. Include:
    1. Name of the account holder
    2. Amount of funding in U.S. dollar equivalent


Requirements for Financial Support:

50% of the value for stocks, bonds, mutual funds, certificates of deposit and similar investments can be counted. However, property and the proposed sale of property does not count as evidence of financial support. Chartered Accountant statements, life insurance policies and retirement accounts are not accepted by the Office of International Education.


Documents should be mailed in one package to:

W. Colby Carson
Director of Recruitment and Enrollment
School of Music CFA 108
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Attn: International


Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page on the Office of International Education website for further questions.

Please contact Colby Carson at with any additional questions.