Areas of Study

Menu × Close

Breadcrumb Navigation

Double Major Information


Undergraduates can apply to up to three colleges or schools of study within the university on their Common Application. However, admitted students will need to choose a home college or school when they enroll.

Many music students are successful in adding a second major or dual degree, but typically begin in the School of Music due to the sequential nature of the course work. Students interested in adding a second major or dual degree should approach the advising office in their home college as well as their intended second major/degree.

Adding a second major means that ultimately the student receives one degree from their home college but has taken 90 units of course work in their second major.  Pursuing a dual degree means that ultimately the student will receive two separate degrees.

Certain degree combinations can extend a student’s time at Carnegie Mellon.

Many students are successful in pursuing professional course work in a second area of study without adding a second major or dual degree. The Health Professions Program  is one example of this route.

Students interested in BXA degrees enroll directly in the BXA program and not one specific college. These students must be admitted to the College of Fine Arts as well as the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of Computer Science or the Mellon College of Science. Visit the Interdisciplinary Degrees page for more information on the BXA program as well as the five year collaborative/accelerated program with the Master of Arts Management program in the Heinz College.

For more information on dual degrees or second majors, please contact the Office of Recruitment & Enrollment by email at or phone at 412.268.4118.